21 September 2014

Like a Christmas turkey

So I don't talk about it a lot and I don't want sympathy but I've been ill for a whole year now (give or take a few days) and the drs are actually finally trying to be useful! I'm severely deficient in magnesium, so I am having to stuff myself with many different forms of magnesium (hence the title of this post). I only mention this as the purpose of this post is to blog about a meal my Mum came up with as a magnesium rich meal to consume magnesium more naturally (I am still on a gazillion different tablets, oil sprays and bath flakes for the skin but I'd much prefer to be able to get it all from food). I cooked this dish for lunch yesterday and thought I'd share it with you all.

Ingredients (serves 1):

* 2 or 3 handfuls kale
* 2 tbsp puy lentils
* 2 rashers bacon
* 1 egg
* 1 tbsp mozarella (or any other cheese of your preference, grated)

Method:

* Heat 1 tsp of oil in a frying pan, get the pan very hot before adding the kale.
* Meanwhile cook 2 rashers of bacon in another frying pan until crispy
* Add the kale and ensure you keep the kale moving.
* Add the lentils to the kale and keep mixing.
* Once the bacon is cooked, turn the heat down on the kale pan and add the bacon to keep it warm.
* Fry your egg in the bacon pan (no oil necessary).
* Pile the kale and lentil in the centre of the plate. Top with the bacon, followed by the egg (I like it so the yolk will break and run over the rest of the ingredients) and finally a sprinkling of grated cheese (either your favourite cheese or whatever you have to hand).


The finished product (minus the cheese)

Presentation needs to be improved, but here is the meal (with chicken added as it needed using up!)

Leafy green vegetables (such as Kale) are very good sources of magnesium, as are many legumes and lentils (such as puy lentils). Another good source of magnesium is nuts (particularly almonds).

Thanks for reading,

- Rebecca x

No comments:

Post a Comment